Nuts and bolts
Here's what to do:
- Acknowledge the nominating blogger. (Thanks @EduCait_Tech)
- Share 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
- List 11 bloggers. They should be bloggers you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love!
- Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.)
- Follow #blogamonth and support participating bloggers!
11 Random Facts
- I have been teaching 1st grade for six years now.
- My wife and I are expecting our second at the end of February.
- I will be getting a class set of LearnPad tablets to pilot for my school district in the next couple of weeks.
- I was a punter on the football team for the Iowa Hawkeyes when in college. #hawkeyes
- I was an appliance technician during the summer when in college.
- I met my wife by fixing her washer when working as an appliance tech.
- I have an English Bulldog named Diezel.
- I was featured in Ed Tech K-12 for virtual field trips via Skype.
- My 1st graders Skyped with Iowa's Governor Branstad.
- I coach baseball in the summer time.
- I love golf!
1. Do you do the Daily 5 in your classroom? We do a variation of the Daily 5. One of the rotations is with iPads instead of all the true Daily 5 centers.
2. How do you use technology in your classroom? We try to find authentic ways to use tech in our classroom. We Skype, blog, use iPads, laptops and other tools that fit into the curriculum. My goal has been focusing on the SAMR model for integrating tech.
3. What types of technology do you have available in your classroom? I currently have 4 student computers that are hooked up to the internet. I also have 5 iPads. I will be getting a class set of LearnPad tablets to pilot for my school district. We also have a SMARTBoard.
4. Why do you blog? I blog as a tool to catalog my learning as well as share. I have learned so much from others that have been generous enough to share online and feel like giving back.
5. What is favorite twitter chat? For grade specific, I love #1stchat. For a chat to push me out of my comfort zone, I like #iaedchat.
6. What subject do you like teaching best, and why? I would say math but I am starting to like reading more and more. Math there is one answer. In reading, there is so many variations. For example, "read" can have a long "e" sound as well as a short "e" sound depending on sentence context. Get a 1st grader to understand all the variations--#ultimatechallenge
7. What is your favorite classroom management tip? High energy and building relationships. I love goofing off (as long as my kids can handle it). I get to act like a kid all day long in 1st grade.
8. How many years have you been teaching? This is my seventh year teaching. One year in third grade and the rest in 1st grade.
9. What is your favorite educational website? I have many but continue to go back to Free Technology for Teachers by Richard Byrne.
10. What is your favorite educational app? At this point and time it would be Educreations and Kidblog (I know--two apps not one). Both these apps allow us to focus on creation with the iPads vs. consumption only.
11. What is your favorite social media website? I am hooked on Twitter right now but Google+ is growing on me.
My 11 Nominations
- Sarah Lalk--wsrtech.com
- Kathy Cassidy--kathycassidy.com
- Jen Langhus--madeleinefirstgrade.wordpress.com
- Jessica Meacham--jmeacham.com
- Michael Carton--michaelsreadthelibrary.wordpress.com
- Heather Wilson--heatherowilson.blogspot.com
- Kelly Smith--misssmiths1stgrade.blogspot.com
- Shannon Miller--vanmeterlibraryvoice.blogspot.com
- Tammy Massman--mrsmassman.edublogs.org
- Kelly Hines--kellyhines.wordpress.com
- Leslie Keehn--keehnedtech.blogspot.com
My 11 Questions for Nominated Bloggers
- What is one tip of advice you would give to teachers that are reluctant to try out new technology?
- Do you prefer Twitter or Google+ more?
- What is your favorite Web 2.0 tool?
- Does your school embrace PLC (professional learning communities)?
- Have you ever been to an Ed Camp?
- What if any is the Cloud storage service you use or like best?
- What is your favorite resource site for you to get information in your teaching role?
- Do you have a favorite Twitter chat?
- What is a good book you have read lately (education related or not)?
- What are some of the tech tools you have available in your class?
- Do you have any communities on Google+ you recommend or hashtags to follow on Twitter?